Sunday, September 25, 2016

Winter Squash Soup From Scratch

Well, hi! After the Cherry pie saga I needed to take a breather. It's been a super busy breather and I feel like blogging would have helped me feel calmer through it but here we are filling in the recipe blanks after much too long! Let's start with:



 

Winter Squash Soup

Ingredients: 

2 medium sized butternut squash-peeled, seeded, and cubed

6-8 cups water

1/2 t salt

1/4 t black pepper 

2 T chicken stock paste

1 t poultry seasoning

1/2 t each: cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, allspice

1/4 t chili powder

1/2 cup milk or heavy cream

Directions:

Bring squash and water to a boil in a medium sauce pan. Reduce heat to medium low, add all of the spices, and simmer 20 minutes or until squash is very tender. 

Remove from heat and blend, using an immersion blender until completely smooth. 

Stir in milk, and serve immediately. Leftovers keep very well in the freezer if you have any. 

The broth looks odd and murky at the simmering point but I promise it pays off!


I am not compensated by any company to endorse their products but I must say, the stick blender is a super handy tool! 



 Can you see how smooth and wonderful the soup looks even before adding the milk? I almost made this a dairy free recipe because the taste test went so well. 


The milk mixing into the soup is probably my favorite part of the process to watch. I like the swirls the best! 

This is a perfect fall side dish or in my case simple and delicious meal. I've also been known to feed it to my babies when they were first starting out with food. Their favorite part was smearing it in their hair! I hope you enjoy this delicious soup!!
 
 


 



No comments:

Post a Comment