Friday, September 2, 2016

Half a Head of Cabbage.....

What a strange title! It was absolutely the elephant in my fridge though.  I know you have something like that too. I also needed to go grocery shopping but had zero intention of exposing myself to double coupon senior discount day at the grocery store so I was stuck trying to figure out what to do with my elephant, I mean, cabbage......

After scrounging in the pantry I found some canned goods and I remembered some leftover frozen ground beef and the last onion in the drawer. Telling myself this would all work out just fine I set to cooking and created a super tasty Beefy Cabbage Stew. 



Ingredients:
1T olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1-1 1/2 lbs ground beef
1 head of garlic, minced
2-3 carrots
1 24oz can diced tomatoes
1 10oz can sweet corn, drained
1/2t salt
1/2 t ground black pepper
1/2 t celery salt
1-2 hand fulls dry parsley.  
1/8 t chili flakes or to taste 
1T basil
1/4 t Rosemary, crushed
1 bay leaf
2 C water

Directions:
1. In a large soup pot heat 1 T olive oil. Chop onion, peel and chop carrots, and dice garlic. When the pot is hot add onion and sauté until translucent. 

2. Add ground beef to pot and brown. While beef is browning chop the cabbage into bite sized chunks. If your beef is  very fatty drain off the fat. 

3. Add everything else to the pot and bring to a boil over high heat, taste test and adjust spices to your liking, reduce heat and simmer 20-30 minutes or until carrots are tender. 

4. Serve with crusty bread like sourdough or French bread. 


These are the canned goods I mentioned. Highly economical and just as yummy. The giant cup of coffee is mandatory. 
 

When buying spices I prefer to get as much in bulk as I can particularly for things like parsley, basil, and oregano. I am not compensated by McCormic or Tone's 


This was so good that the kids asked for seconds and the best part is that it freezes well and reheats beautifully if you have any left. 

Ps. 
I haven't forgotten about the cherry pie. It's still on my list, now where is my child labor?
 

 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment