Monday, March 12, 2012

My crock pot failure

I tried to make crock pot oatmeal last night so we could eat it this morning but it failed so completely that I determined it to be inedible. Here's what it was supposed to look like:


Delicious right? I chose to add raisins and brown sugar and cinnamon to my pot of pre-planned yum and I didn't take the recipe completely seriously when it called for steel cut oats so this is what I came away with:


It smelled WONDERFUL. It didn't at first inspection look too bad either with it's warm, plump raisins and cinnamon sugar color. Alas, it was an illusion and a lie. The whole bottom was burned and when I tasted it to see if my nose was telling the truth about the flavor I discovered that it was completely bland and watery. Notice the dark, dark edges and that slightly burned look there at the bottom? Yeah, I'm still soaking that right now so that I can clean this tasteless mess out and make my crock pot useable again. I will attempt this recipe at least one more time following ALL of the instructions and not wandering off course to do my own thing with a recipe that looked super simple. What did I end up feeding my family for breakfast instead, you ask? Just a standard easy favorite. Natto, rice, fried eggs, and furikake. Seems to be a wonderful easy fall back for me. 




No comments:

Post a Comment