Sunday, March 4, 2012

Fresh Fruit Trifle (I made this one up on my own)

I had a dear friend in need of comfort food and of course that equates to desserts or pasta in my world. Saturday, I chose dessert!



This Fresh Fruit trifle was so incredibly easy to make and thank goodness too cause I was running late! I got 2 lbs of strawberries, a package of blueberries, a gigantic Angel Food cake, and a super large tub of Cool Whip, dragged it all home and got started. I saved out a few of the strawberries (3 to be exact but you can use more or less as it suits you) to go on top for decoration then washed and quartered all the rest into a medium bowl with the washed blueberries. I think I added about a quarter cup of sugar maybe a half, I really just eyeballed it, and let my daughter do the stirring to get every berry nice and coated. The berries then went into the fridge while the whipped topping sat on the counter and I ran off to change clothes. I think about 30 minutes probably less later I broke up the angel food cake into the bottom of the trifle bowl and poured out a good bit of the berries over it then covered the berries with whipped topping and repeated the layering one more time making sure that I got all of the juice from the berry bowl into the trifle bowl. I created the lovely design you see on top there and literally ran out the door! 

Now I'm sure that this trifle would be better if the berries were allowed to macerate longer, possibly even over night, but don't fret if you don't have that kind of time. I still got rave reviews about the dish and if I had to hazard a guess I think it's probably one of those dishes that would keep in the fridge over night pretty well letting the angel food cake absorb some of the rich berry juices. Of course that all depends on whether or not it survives that long LOL!

Happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment