Sunday, August 21, 2016

Leftover Oatmeal? Let's Make Pancakes!

Still no pie..... What's up with that? I guess the reward of flaky crust and sweet filling isn't motivating enough when my sweet girls keep making brownies. Maybe after church I'll get some child labor involved and have them make the pie…

No matter, it's breakfast time and I had what looked like a mountain of stiff, congealed, chewy leftover oatmeal in the fridge. Absolutely not appetizing. Blech!  Luckily I also had all the makings for pancakes and some hungry people.

So without further ado, here we go!


Cinnamon Oatmeal Pancakes

1 1/2 cups leftover oatmeal
1 cup milk
2 eggs
1 t vanilla
3 T oil or butter
1 T baking powder
1/2 T cinnamon
1/8 t salt
1 C all purpose flour
1 T sugar (optional) 
Spray oil for cooking

1. Combine oatmeal, milk, eggs, vanilla, and oil in a bowl using a potato masher to break up the oatmeal if it's cold. 

2. Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl and whisk or sift together. 

3. Preheat pan over medium high heat

4. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir until just mixed (it's gonna be a little thick, that's ok!! )

5. Wait 5 min. 

6. Coat pan with spray oil, ladle out some batter ( 1/4c - 1/3c) into frying pan and cook until edges are dry and center is bubbly

7. Flip pancake and cook until center is done 

These pancakes are dense and filling in spite of the eggs and the baking powder. I served them up with blueberry syrup and they were absolutely heavenly! 


Here it is, gross rubbery congealed oatmeal and some milk. I doctor my oatmeal pretty heavily with butter, sugar, and a little salt while I'm cooking it so I had to take that into account when creating this recipe. If you have unsweetened, oil/ butter free oatmeal use the sugar and oil amounts in the ingredients list. I dialed my oil back some and skipped the sugar. 


Eggs for added protein


A completely non-endorsed plug for McCormic vanilla because it's corn free and GMO free ❤️ I get the big bottle because I use it constantly. 


I had to switch from spoon to potato masher because the oatmeal was not breaking up. Thank God it worked or I'd be posting a failed experiment LOL!



Dry ingredients in, and mix until combined


There it is, all mixed up and ready to sit there so the double acting baking powder can get to work. 


I don't like waiting either but, seriously, it's just 5 minutes, grab a coffee and by the time you're done with that it'll be ready. 


This is what it looks like when it's ready to flip! 


The golden brown crust is just lovely. 


Finished product complete with blueberry syrup for dipping. This is the smallest most impatient person's plate, therefore it was the first one filled. He was s very happy little guy! 

Happy eating!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment