Friday, May 11, 2012

Deep Fried Delicious


Tonight we went to the grocery store for bread and came home with a whole basket full of veggies. Now I'm not normally a fan of fried green tomatoes but I'm gonna blame it on being pregnant. Anyway when we got home with the tomato, avocado, and zucchini I realized that I didn't have any cornmeal for making fried green tomatoes properly. Bring on the improvisation! I decided that I could use all of the seasonings for fried green tomatoes in panko bread crumbs. Here's the recipe:

1 firm green tomato sliced
1 barely ripe avocado cut into strips
1 zucchini sliced
1 C tempura batter
Panko Bread Crumbs
1 T Italian Seasoning
1/4 t pepper
salt
vegetable or favorite oil to deep fry in
1 cup instant grits
1/3 C shredded cheddar cheese

Heat frying oil.
Cook instant grits according to package directions then stir in cheese and add salt and pepper to taste.
Remove from heat, cover and let sit.

In a medium size bowl prepare tempura batter with very cold water according to package directions. 
Mix Italian Seasoning bread crumbs and salt and pepper.

Dip vegetables in tempura batter then coat in panko and deep fry till golden brown. 
Remove from oil, drain on paper towels, and salt generously.

Serve all parts (especially the avocado) warm. Sprinkle more cheese over grits if it appeals to you =-)


My finished product
 The aftermath of the amazing plate of fried goodies :-D



I will completely be using this frying technique again. My wonderful Husband claimed that I fed him too well and whined about his overly full belly for at least an hour afterward. I call that success!

No comments:

Post a Comment